A reason to celebrate: Italian Cuisine Day
The eggplant casserole is a classic of southern Italian cuisine and reminds our logistics expert of her grandma: "When I was a child, I went to her house for lunch almost every Sunday and we had parmigiana di melanzane". So that nothing stands in the way of you cooking it again, you can find the right recipe here:
Ingredients for 4-6 portions
- 600 g eggplants
- Olive oil
- 400 g peeled tomatoes (e.g.. from Adria or Paolo Rossi)
- 200 g fior di latte (alternatively: buffalo mozzarella)
- 1 handful of basil
- 5 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Wash the eggplants, cut into thin slices, season lightly with salt and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Wash the eggplants, pat dry and fry in batches in a pan with plenty of olive oil. Put the finished eggplants to one side on kitchen paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees top/bottom heat. Season the tomatoes generously with salt and pepper. Tear the fior di latte with your hands. Rinse the basil, shake dry and also lightly tear.
- Cover the base of a baking dish with a few slices of eggplant. Top with tomato sauce, a few basil leaves and some fior die latte, then cover again with eggplants. Continue until all the ingredients have been used up.
- Sprinkle everything with Parmesan and bake in the middle of the oven for approx. 45 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy the Parmigiana di Melanzana lukewarm - Buon appetito!